Sunday, March 9, 2008

I Ate Yr. Cherry Bomb

What: Christopher's Big Cherry
When: Late-February, 2008
Where: Purchased in Idaho
Cost: $0.99

The Idahoian equivalent of the yellow-boxed chocolate-covered cherries I occasionally see (but have never tried) in corner stores at home. They have always been the example I use when talking about candies that look so unappetizing that I can't understand why a store would stock them at all. I waited about a week after buying this Big Cherry before I tried it.

Immediately after I cautiously bit into it, someone called it a "bloody-jizz-filled turd". While not entirely accurate (the pink filling was solid, not runny), this caused me to giggle uncontrollably, unable to finish the bite I was chewing. I didn't try to take another one.

Other than being sickly-sweet, the Big Cherry was actually fairly inoffensive. The outside layer was not solid chocolate. Rather, it was a hefty, malleable mixture of chocolate, crushed nuts and coconut.

The filling was shockingly pink and tasted faintly like cherries. It had the texture of a year-old Cadbury Creme Egg.

All this was centered around a cherry, of course.

The whole thing reminded me of a cherry-flavoured nanaimo bar wrapped around a candied cherry. Not bad, but not something I would buy again.

We're heading back down into the States tomorrow, on our way to Austin, TX. I will be dutifully keeping my eyes open and my stomach full while I'm gone.

Next Up: Mrs. Freshley's Red Velvet Creme Cakes

HR

2 comments:

Pepe Cleto said...

"The outside layer was not solid chocolate. Rather, it was a hefty, malleable mixture of chocolate, crushed nuts and coconut."... i hardly doubt that is a real chocolate at all.. hahaha maybe is falselater or somenthing werid from a werid lab in a very far away island of the pacific ocean! :S or maybe it is chocolate! :S good look with the next review!

Anonymous said...

Ah... the good ol' generic cherry confection. Seems like those, much like the "Twin Bing" and "Cherry Mash" were created by accident by some drunken pastry chefs on an all night bender. But the best of those has to be the "Cherry Mash". I mean, it even has it's own song!
http://www.cherrymash.com/about/song.shtml

(maybe you guys should cover this on tour):)